What is it that we both love about being outdoors? The ultimate question and one that we asked ourselves last week, believe it or not for the first time!
We came out with a number of words, expressions and feelings and managed to home in on what was most important to us. In short when we are outdoors and active together it gives us a sense of freedom, makes us feel alive when appreciating everything around us and gives us a real passion and energy to explore. We absolutely love having fun and creating memories to share together and with friends and family.
New Experiences Enjoyed
Over the last few years our shared time has been limited and mainly at weekends which means it has been even more important to make the most of it doing the things that we love. We have explored, travelled, hiked and biked, visited lots of wonderful new places, taken hundreds of photos and revelled in new experiences.
It may sound a bit smug but we always come away feeling fulfilled, smiling, energised and with a wonderful sense of well-being and always looking forward to the next adventure. Our love of walking, hiking and biking means that we can enjoy active adventures in a day or two over a weekend and with us both being 50 plus and active we love being inspired to do new things or visit new places.
We very much have a “can do” attitude and find ways of doing things rather than barriers to prevent us. Our positivity is sometimes the envy of our friends who love to look at our photos and hear our tales and will often comment that they wished they had our lives.
In fact having a similar lifestyle to us is not hard, it just requires a bit of positive thinking and we would really love to share how we do things together, have fun and make the most of our free time being active outdoors. Let us inspire you to take the bull by the horns and pick up those walking boots, rucksacks and maps and take a trip.
Weekend Activities We Have Enjoyed
Being active outdoors at weekends has taken us all over the UK and abroad and our highlights include.
- Climbing the Pap of Glencoe and lunch at the Clachaig Inn
- Mountain biking on the trails in Swinley Forest
- The Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge with a small holiday cottage as a base
- Tandem biking day out in the Sussex Countryside
- Long circular walk with pub lunch on the South Downs
- Taking a ferry from Dover and cycling through the French countryside and returning the same day.
- Climbing Mount Toubkal in Morocco over a long weekend
- Walking the Thames Path from Tower of London to Greenwich Market and hiring a Santander bike back
- Camping, biking and hiking in the New Forest
- Renting a cottage near Bath and cycling the Two Tunnels and Avon Canal Circuit
- Hiking in Yorkshire and the Lake District
- Walking the Quantock Hills and coastal paths in Devon
- Numerous biking adventures on and off road with coffee & pub stops
- Day hikes & long walks – Many short to medium length hikes all over the country using free resources and walking books.
Planning & Organising
Admittedly we are relatively fit as a result of all this activity but almost everything we have done is accessible with a little bit of planning and organisation and that’s what we will endeavour to share with you.
If you’ve a mind to explore the outdoors, read where we get our ideas from, what gives us our inspiration, how we download our maps and prepare for our adventures.
We will share how we pack our rucksacks, where we find great coffee stops, our snacks and lunches, mistakes we make and things we forget and vow never to do again!
Every trip brings us new memories and stories to share, photos of beautiful views or sunsets or colours in the trees and so much more.
We look forward to our next adventure as our well-being depends on it and to inspiring you to have fun outdoors at weekends.